This project is read-only.

EWSEditor connects to Exchange Server while Managed EWS doesn't - how does it do that?

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Please have a look at this discussion here at Microsoft Managed Discussion Groups.

We cannot connect to Exchange Server 2010 using managed EWS under .NET 4.0. We always receive a "401" error.

EWSEditor, however, either receives a "403" error (at a call to TestExchangeService()), or, using one of the three accounts I'm testing with, successfully connects to the account's mailbox.

While EWSEditor communicates with Exchange Server for the one account that's working, it takes approx. 30 Seconds for each call to Exchange Server to return. So it's performing extraordinarily slow.

What does EWSEditor do to be able to connect to Exchange Server 2010 if not by using plain EWS? What's the fall-back mechanism it's using?

Your help is appreciated.

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM

A few things to consider.  Usually connection problems occur because of Autodiscover configuration problems, or Authentication issues.  You can use the "EWS Log Viewer" and "Autodiscover Viewer" under the Tools menu in EWS Editor to see how it works / doesn't work when EWS does it.  

Also, if you're using self-signed certs, you may need to check Tools/Options and make sure that "Override SSL certificate validation" is checked, and also make sure that "Allow Autodiscover redirects" is checked.

EWSEditor is using the EWS Managed API for all calls to Exchange.  If you want to see the code behind the log entries, take the value from the "Source" column in the log and search the source for that function in the project.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Thanks, Rickh, for replying.

Actually neither in our code nor in EWSEditor settings we're using Autodiscover.

The trace/log doesn't give any valuable information, because it doesn't show any connection information.

I can't debug on our production web server so it's hard for me to track what's going on there in EWSEditor.

Did you have the chance to have a look at the screenshots I'd provided in the discussion I'm referring to in my first posting?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Do you have SSL validation turned off in the EWSEditor options?  403 is typically a certificate error.

"Also, if you're using self-signed certs, you may need to check Tools/Options and make sure that "Override SSL certificate validation" is checked, and also make sure that "Allow Autodiscover redirects" is checked."

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

The core problem is not the "403", I'm afraid, because we DO have one account that's actually working in EWSEditor.

The root problem is that this one account works when addressed in EWSEditor but doesn't work when addressed from our web application.

It's all described in the thread I'm referring to. I've already written it all down there.

The question is: What is EWSEditor doing to make this call succeed?

Please refer to the thread above for details. All the questions you might want to ask, have been answered in there.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The problem still persists.

... anyone here to help?